Gurudev's Beach


There is always a persistent temptation to run away from this city. To settle down in a much slower, quieter part of the country. However, that involves a lot of logistical issues and emotions. But travel is the perfect temporary solution. So on an early morning of November when everyone was waking up to begin celebrating Diwali, I was escaping the madness on a suburban train headed to Dadar to board a blue(long distance) train headed to Goa. Janshatabdi Express is a wonderfully swift train within 8 hours, we were in Goa. At Madgaon, I walked to the bus stop where a crowded mini bus waited for me to take me to the bus stand. My destination for the day was Karwar. A small coastal town lying between the Western Ghats and the Arabian Sea. It is also famous for its sea food delicacies which I was really looking forward to. So I decided to skip lunch in Goa and boarded a Kadamba bus headed to Karwar.

The bus rolled down on NH17 passing through quaint villages and brightly coloured bungalows. I was a little sad at the prospect of leaving Goa without spending even a night in such a beautiful countryside. It was 1630 when the Arabian Sea appeared to my right and soon I was alighting onto the main road at Karwar. I checked into a modest lodge and tripped to the beach. Named after Rabindranath Tagore, who fell in love with Karwar and penned Prakritir Pratishod sitting on a rock by the sea. The beach was vast and clean. I spotted many birds including the majestic Brahminy Kites. There weren't many tourists. The sun was setting and it was a nice evening. However, the fun part of Karwar for me ended right there. Restaurants like Amruth were shut on account of Lakshmi Poojan and I had to make do with a simple meal of spicy chicken curry and parotha at a small place where most of the labourers have their dinner. Needless to say, it was one of the best. I had planned on sleeping early but then the fireworks started going off and Diwali had finally caught up with me. I couldn’t wait unti dawn and the beginning of another journey. My next stop was Gokarna, a yet another coastal town belonging to Uttara Kanada district of Karnataka. A place that I had been dreaming of visiting since a long time.



Rufous Treepie in the Western Ghats

Janshatabadi isn't a sleeper but it's cool

What was that again?

Where Kalinadi meets the Arabian Sea

Brahminy Kites

Sunset not captured so well

Rest








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogs of Schoen House - Wodehouse Road

The Mystery of the Missing Marble Canopy of Queen Victoria

Virupapur Gaddi - The Beach of Hampi (minus the sea)