Of Cyclones and Cold Weather

Each time there is a cyclone near Chennai, Bengaluru goes into a melancholic mood. The skies become overcast and if it weren't for the steel and glass buildings on the skyline, I swear I could have been at a hill station. During such times it is hard not to be inflicted by its gloom. The chilly temperatures and the cold wind don't brighten up your heart and for a Bombay boy like me, it is hard to remain cheerful. That's when I try to find comfort in a warm plate of Thalaserry Biryani. I always prefer a good Donne Biryani but all the Military and Naati places are too far from where I live. 

What is the point of food? Most times it is only to satiate hunger and provide nutrition for the body. But on other days it does more than that. It provides comfort and hope. For instance, when I fell sick recently, a warm bowl of rasam provided much hope and reminded me, at least temporarily, of what good health feels like. With every sip of the hot liquid, I could feel its transformative powers work upon my sinuses, clearing them up and allowing me to breathe better. In those moments I felt pepper, tomatoes, jeera, hing, and garlic coming together to heal my ice-brew-inflicted cold. 

But cold and gloomy weather is also a good time to ponder over the life that has been. The timelines seem a bit messed up like my hairline right now. But what again goes according to plan? Nothing apparently. Perhaps that's the takeaway and a valuable one at that. The point of life is to be on your toes all the time because, life, well life is passing you by. Whether you like it or not. There are just too many variables so like the good old Stoics tell you, worry about what you can control. The problem lies in the fact that there is very little that you can control. 

Cold and wet weather also brings out the nostalgia at a wholesale rate. Somehow the promise of a bright blue sky seems distant. So the mind goes into rewind mode, living happy memories. The cold days in Bombay were not so bad. I mean, there were only 8 or 9 every year. So we didn't mind them, much like novelty food items at the village fair. But too much of anything is bad and that's why weeks of cold makes you feel miserable. 

However, cold weather is not all that bad. If you have a warm house, coming home after a walk in the cold is delightful. Brewing yourself a nice cup of masala chai or the comfort-in-a-mug, Ginger Lemon Honey tea is a chore that you look forward to. Putting on socks indoors and lying flat with a paperback feels nice. Not heavenly or anything, just pleasant. Like a cool breeze on a May afternoon in Dadar. Ah nostalgia, you see. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogs of Schoen House - Wodehouse Road

The Mystery of the Missing Marble Canopy of Queen Victoria

Virupapur Gaddi - The Beach of Hampi (minus the sea)